About Me

My photo
I made a promise to my sweet Cubby that I would switch to using all cruelty-free household and cosmetic products. This blog is intended to help those of you who would like to do the same. Is a new lipstick really worth a dead bunny?

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Basil dish soap - UPDATED

UPDATED 8/22/12: I just found out that Caldrea (which owns Mrs. Meyer's) is owned by none other than SC Johnson, well known to be an animal tester. BOOOOOO, HIIIISSSSSSS. So I will not be purchasing any more Mrs. Meyers or Caldrea products (which is a super bummer becuase I just sniffed their Honeysuckle scent and it smelled awesome...).

Product: Basil dish soap
Company: Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day (Owned by Caldrea)

I purchased this bottle of Mrs. Meyer’s Basil scented dish soap for use in a fruit fly trap. At work. No joke (and I caught the most fruit flies out of my colleagues). Anyway, I had used some of the same scent hand soap at a friend’s house and really liked it; after researching the company, I found out they were cruelty free, so when I needed dish soap (and Walmart didn’t have Method), this was the winner! The website for this company is http://www.mrsmeyers.com/

I can’t remember how much this product cost (again, didn’t know I’d be doing this blog at the time!) but I seem to remember it was more expensive than the store brand soap but not terribly more expensive than Dawn. While I really like the scent of the hand soap I used, the dish soap is a bit overpowering. It’s reminiscent of basil but of course, isn’t just like fresh basil. The bottle is unobtrusive; it’s not as commercial looking as a Dawn or Joy. It performs… well, like dish soap. I can’t tell if it’s my imagination or not, but it might not be QUITE as effective as conventional dish soap on really super stuck on food. I’ll try to remember to update this post when I’ve been using it a little longer.
Overall, 3 out of 4 paws up. Recommended (but pick your own favorite scent – they have several to choose from).

2 comments:

  1. Carolyn, what's the scoop on Seventh Generation products? I know they're (at least allegedly) eco-friendly, but are they animal friendly too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amanda - Seventh Generation is completely cruelty free! According to their website and also certified by the Leaping Bunny, they (and their suppliers) do perform, or solicit for, animal testing.

    See the website here http://seventhgeneration.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/112/kw/animal%20testing/session/L3RpbWUvMTM0MjIwMTk5My9zaWQvNEZuengyMWw%3D

    ReplyDelete